For the past two days, NPR has been rife with stories about just how close this year's election appears to be.  Barring a surprising surge on the side of either party it looks as though a recount may be inevitable in at least one of the "swing states" the candidates have spent the past month courting.

I, however,  live in Texas, which basically means that if I don't vote Republican (which I am not at all likely to do this election) my vote basically doesn't count.  That would explain why Obama & Company haven't even looked in the direction of Texas for several months.  Not that I blame him.  He has plenty of supporters here, but the odds of him winning Texas are about as high as the chance of Texas making barbeque illegal. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Makes you wonder why, in this age of technology, we still have the electoral college.  It made sense, I guess, when there wasn't a reliable postal service and distances were measured by the number of horses you'd have to change, but now?  When we all have access to television news and high speed internet covers over half the country, the average voter has every opportunity to stay abreast of current issues and the candidate's positions, and, therefore, their vote should count on it's own.  I can imagine the change would increase voter turnout in many states that are so traditionally liberal or conservative that those in the political minority feel essentially disenfranchised given the way the current system plays out.

If the election is close enough this year, and especially if we have a popular vote that is in opposition to the electoral vote, perhaps abolishing the electoral college will once again be up for consideration.  That itself would be enough to make me vote, even if I wasn't already driven to do so for my conscience, knowing full well my vote will in no way affect the ultimate outcome.

If you haven't already, vote tomorrow.