This weekend I had the brilliant (read that with a sarcastic tone) idea to look for a new template for the blog.

I did a little Googling and, low and behold, I discovered thousands of free templates . A click click here, a click click there, and tada: the new and improved Daisies Don't Have Thorns.

Of course, I am leaving out the part during which I stayed up until 4:30 Sunday morning working out some of the resulting issues. And the part during which I spent Monday afternoon tweaking the sidebar. And the part during which I spent the better part of 2 days trying to figure out how to get the timestamp to display the way I wanted it. And the tags. And the menu bar across the top. And the little RSS feed button at the top of the page (which wasn't "little" enough originally).

And I'm still not done.

Has me thinking:

When I was in the 1st grade, my teacher called my mother to request a conference about my performance in class. The teacher tried to tell my mother that she was concerned about the amount of time it was taking me to complete my worksheets and handwriting assignments. Turns our I was having issues with mistakes. As in I didn't want anyone to think I made them. So, of course, I couldn't stand erasure marks on my papers. So I didn't erase. Ever. If I made a mistake? I had to start over. Completely. No matter how close to being finished I was.

A bit obsessive? Maybe.

I remember my teacher pulling me aside and telling me that it was o.k. if I had to erase because just about everything we were doing in class was practice, and practice is the time when you are supposed to mess up. It seemed so simple when she put it like that. Made perfect sense.

May we never forget that most of our life is practice, that mistakes are part of the learning process, and that ignoring or, even worse, hiding our mistakes only makes us forget just how far we have come.