So, it's be a while. Had a trip to D.C. for a work conference (aka a bunch of computer nerds getting together to share new toys in a convention center with spotting wifi coverage), spent a little time in my pajamas on the couch, and then spent the 4th at the parents' house.

Winged Monkey met the family for the first time. The whole family. We're talking parents, siblings, nieces & nephews, and even aunt, uncle, & cousin. WM seems to have survived the weekend relatively unscathed (thank God my family believes in beer and margaritas), but I believe I may have noticed a slight tic today that he didn't have before the weekend. He's still hanging out on the couch with me, so he's either in shock or he's made of some pretty stern stuff. Of course, he could also be planning his exit strategy while watching the Bond marathon on USA this afternoon.

I, on the other hand, spent half of the evening trying to get my eyes to work after making the mistake of petting my sister's cat and then promptly using the same hand to take out my contacts...without stopping to wash my hands. Being massively allergic to animals of the feline variety means my hygienic shortcut caused my eyes to turn bright red and swell up to three times their normal size. Then the itching set in. This is the part of the post where I put in a plug for Zyrtec, without which my fourth would have been a lot less colorful...since I would have been blind.

WM and I agreed that the economy can't be in that bad of shape, since we were able to watch private firework shows put on by multiple groups at the lake. I suspect more than a few thousand dollars were blown up in the night sky around the lake that night; three to four hours of pretty much non-stop fireworks can not be cheap. And that was after the air show, during which the pilots re-enacted Tora Tora, dogfights and all.

Gotta get back into the swing of the blogosphere, but first, I plan to spend this evening eating Thai food. Apparently mangoes are in season, so my friendly Thai phone waiter talked me into adding some mango sticky rice to my order this evening. I'll let you know how it turns out...