What is it about traveling that makes me so tired? Not the actual touring part, but the actual moving from city to city. I’ve never quite been able to figure out why riding in a bus or plane or train can leave me completely exhausted. I mean, all I’ve done is sit there for a couple of hours. And usually I get in a nap or two on the longer trips, so one would think I’d bound off a train completely energized instead of stumbling off in my current zombie-like state.

And the bruises! I look like I spent a couple of rounds in the ring of a UFC match. One on each thigh from separate run-ins with my luggage. A couple on each knee from spiteful tray tables and arm rests. One on my hand from I don’t know what, but it wasn’t there yesterday. And of course, I’m pale, even after the Italian sun, so they tend to stand out in the florescent glare of the train station lights.

I think I am much more the vacation type than the tour type. I want to go somewhere for a week or two, hang out, relax, soak in the atmosphere, not feel guilty about occasionally sleeping in past 8:00am. This waking up at the crack of dawn to eat a croissant before dashing out to run around a city like mad hare, rushing from tourist stop to tourist stop can wear a girl out. After 13 days on the road, I am ready to head home and spend a little quality time with my couch and a book.

Don’t get me wrong. I have enjoyed seeing the sights and admiring the art and savoring the food (well, except in England…not known for its culinary genius), but this is no vacation, and I think I am a girl in need of a little vacation. The closest thing I got to real down time were the two evenings I managed to soak for 20 minutes in a hot bath in Zurmatt (after I had conned two of the guys on the trip into trading rooms with me so that I could have the room with the giant pink bathtub, because what teenage guy is going to make good use of a pink bathtub when there is beer to be had?).

My pink Swiss bathtub.

Touring is great, but I think in the future my trips will consist of more time in fewer cities.

So, I will enjoy the last 2 ½ days I have left in England, but then I think I am heading home to be a bit of a hermit for a week or so, and I am looking forward to that almost as much as I am looking forward to seeing Wicked tonight and all the pieces in the British Museum..