Ever heard of the idea of convergence?

Last night, one of my co-workers called to invite my out for a night of wings & trivia which, other than the really weak drinks, turned out to be rather enjoyable (except for the Big Lebowski round, which I suck at because both times I have tried to watch that movie I have fallen fast asleep in the first 10 minutes). I learned that I know way too much about nursery rhymes and TV theme songs (I got Barney Miller, for goodness sake), and that even the science teachers can't agree on the state of the periodic table.

One of the rounds was identifying movie quotes, and while I could not distinguish one James Bond film from another, I did get the quote from Edward Scissorhands, which completely baffled my teammates. Little did they know that I have a special fondness for Edward Scissorhands because a) I love quirky movies like that and b) it always reminds me of poetry by Yeats, who happens to be my one of my favorite poets (forced rhymes be damned!). You see, back in high school, I was given a poetry explication assignment, and I chose Yeats' "When You Are Old", and I used the closing scene from Edward Scissorhands as my visual because, well, it fits the poem so perfectly it's kinda freaky actually. (I mean, the old Winona Rider character is literally "nodding by the fire" reminiscing about a past love. Perfect!)

That was one of the moments that I think made me become a teacher, and years later, on my first day in my first classroom, Mime 2 sent me a gift and a note saying she knew I would be a teacher when I gave that presentation in our English class that day. (See why we love Mime 2?) Seeing Mime 2 last week had made me think of that poem again, so I think last nights choice of question was pretty interesting.

Mucking up the cosmic waters a little more is the fact that after a bit of a bumpy weekend on the relationship front, I have been unable to get a line from another of Yeats' poems out of my head.

"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."


I always thought this was good advice on how to handle another person's heart. Too often I think we forget how fragile each of us truly is, and we forget that along with the laughter and the butterflies and the frustrations and the confusion of a relationship, there is, at bottom, also a responsibility to one another, because when someone is brave enough to give you part of their heart, you must be vigilant enough to protect it. Otherwise, you are undeserving of such a precious gift.

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

-William Butler Yeats

Here's to hoping everyone finds someone deserving of their dreams.