Yep. Sucked the eyeball straight out of the socket. Then she walked across the stage and spit it out into the metal water trough.

That was a few minutes before the dime store plastic sword fight. And a few minutes after the camouflaged, gas mask wearing French commandos invaded.

And this was Shakespeare, people. Shakespeare. King Lear to be exact, which I happen to like. A lot.

So why, I ask you, do people always have to ruin Shakespeare by re-interpreting his work?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a die-hard traditionalist. I laughed when the Shakespeare Festival had The Taming of the Shrew in gold lemme hot pants. But when the avant garde becomes flat out cheesy? Well, that's where I draw the line. I mean, they had the Jester singing show tunes. Ggaahh!

Edgar was good though, and he had a much better ass than the Jester (since both of them were showing their fanny's off for one reason or another throughout the show). But other than him, I could have done without the entire cast.

In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the whole eyeball thing was intended as a distraction...from the rest of the play...which was really nothing memorable anyway. :(