Long day, and I'm apparently irritable, so I'm currently hiding in a corner of the hotel bar (the closest pub closed 30 minutes ago). Needed a little escape, so here I am, eavesdropping on a rather boring business meeting that 6 guys in complimentary-colored ties are having on my right.

More interestingly, I am watching a crew of four dismantle three crystal (o.k. glass) chandeliers in the hotel restaurant. One by one, the 200 or so star shaped cylinders are removed, and the inverted glass pyramids quickly dissolve into 8 bare light bulbs. I'm interested to see what the replacement construction will look like, but that revelation may have to wait until breakfast tomorrow, as I'm not sure I'll be able to stay here long enough to see the question resolved tonight.

I wonder if this is what these four people do for a living. Is there much demand for chandelier deconstruction in today's economy? What is a bad day at work like for them? Do they get hazard pay for especially high fixtures? Or perhaps for those that are particularly angular--danger of cuts, you know.

They are working with the lights on, so I guess electrocution could be a possibility, but they seem genuinely unconcerned, so I guess that's not a common source of work-related injuries in their field.

I bet they all sleep well. Peaceful, with few restless nights of unsettling dreams. Their work day sounds a lot like wind chimes, for goodness sake. What could be more relaxing?