Yesterday was only so so in the world of educational technology, until about 11:00 a.m. What, you ask, happened at this glorious hour? That, my reading friends, would be about the time I had a moment to sit down at my office computer and order my own personal Amazon Kindle 2!



Being a former English teacher and a self-confessed bookaholic, in addition to being a bit of a gadget girl, I have been anxiously awaiting the release of this little piece of literary miracle for several months now, ever since the rumors started about the upgraded version last summer.

Of course, there was that brief moment of panic as I was finalizing my order, since Boss Man doesn't currently have the budget to order them for his faithful servants as work-related gadgets (he did offer to buy them in the Fall, but there are some things I'm not capable of being patient about, and books happen to be one of those things). Then Boss Man, being his usual ray of sunshine, reminded me that I would have a tax return coming soon, and that sealed the deal. I am now the proud owner of a 2nd generation Kindle: smaller, faster, prettier than the 1st generation, and capable of holding 1500 books inside it's tiny 10.2 oz belly.

I told my dad that I'd be able to buy a house with three fewer rooms just because of the drastic reduction in the need for bookshelf space, to which he responded that maybe he should get one to put on one of the empty shelves in his new study:
I could put it on a tripod thingy, and no one would know if I owned 1500 books or just one!
Lol. That's my dad, for you. All about the gadgets, not so much about the books. Thank god for recessive genes.

To top off my Monday, while still in the Kindle-buying afterglow, my new Dell mini was delivered to my office door. This tiny treat was a free "seed unit" my Dell rep sent us to test out to see if it will fit the bill for my traveling teachers this summer. Needless to say I am quite charmed by it's small stature.


Yes, that is a DVD case! (P&P in honor of previous post about upcoming zombie version.)

I have named my newest li'l computer Tiny Tim.

The small keyboard is taking a little getting used to, but other than that, Tiny is perfect, straight out of the box.

And, yes, I realize my excitement is only further proof of my nerdiness...but I don't care!