There comes a point in the middle of the night when you have looked at the clock so many times that you finally just give up and turn the damn light on. One of the perks of being single is the fact that sleepless nights rarely keep anyone else awake; at least I don't have to skulk around trying to be quiet about my insomnia.

I come by the whole sleepless thing honestly. Genetics. I remember my grandmother being awake at all kinds of crazy hours, and I don't think my dad has slept through the night in a good 5 or 6 years. You can usually find him snoozing on the couch in the mornings, having moved there to watch late night TV when he couldn't sleep at 2:00am. Of course, my dad now has a tendency to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation, but I'm hoping I'm not that far gone yet.

One of the benefits to a crazy internal clock is that you get to see the world at a time when most folks are oblivious. Everything is in hushed tones, like those of us awake are all in on a big secret. Sometimes it can actually be exhilarating, but not tonight. Tonight I really just want another hour's rest before I have to head to work for what I anticipate will be a bit of a long day.