Yesterday morning, the light in my bathroom flickered on and off indecisively for a few seconds before it went completely out. Normally, this would not be that big of a deal, but the house I rent is pretty old, and the light in the bathroom is one of those long florescent tubes, and I don't happen to keep spare 3 ft. long bulbs in my closet. Needless to say, my morning shower was taken by candlelight. It wasn't until I went to brush my teeth when I got home last night that I realized that I had forgotten to stop and buy a replacement bulb, so this morning was more of the same.

Tonight, however, I ventured out in search of my much needed light, only to make a startling discovery: Target doesn't sell florescent tube lights. Target doesn't sell them? Target. Does. Not. Sell. Them.

But do you know who does sell them? Home Depot. I know this because after the shock and confusion of my Target disappointment passed, I got back in my car and drove down the block to Home Depot where I not only found my bulb, but where I experienced another stunning realization: Home Depot is the male version of Target.

Seriously.

Wide variety of items in stock. Check.
Fabulously low bargain prices. Check.
Easily recognizable employee uniforms. Check.
Obnoxiously bright colored plastic shopping carts. Check.
Hot dogs for sale at front of store. Check.
Gift cards for all occasions. Check.
Wedding registry. Check.

All of those years of wondering what my dad could possibly need at Home Depot every weekend, and tonight it all suddenly makes sense. While Target has candles and dishes and cute retro t-shirts, Home Depot has drill bits, and duct tape, and miniature John Deeres. And it's not at all about need. A woman can go to Target because she needs toothpaste and a pair of socks, and $300 later she comes out with a bread maker, a new cell phone, and a string bikini...all pink. A man can go to Home Depot because he needs a fence picket and half a dozen nails, and $300 later he comes out with an electric screwdriver, a weed whacker, and a high pressure nail gun...all cordless.

Perhaps men and women aren't as different as we'd like to think.